Wednesday, October 22, 2008

How to measure your daily calorie requirements?

One of the most basic homework that a person in a weight loss program is the determination of the base level. You need to understand where you are currently standing, before you set out on your journey.

When you are beginning a weight loss program, you must know what should be your daily calorie intake in order to lose weight. The other thing that you must do is record your daily intake in a food journal. Okay, now all my dear friends who are feeling like - Oh! C'mon! one more thing to do.. All I can say is that we need to begin somewhere. As one my favourite author Robin Sharma says "The pain of discipline is always less than the price of regret". Trust me, you will only have to do this for a month or two. After that it would be so intuitive, that you will only have to look at a plate of food and you will be able to make a mental assessment of the food you eat, so you may not have to keep a journal.

But you know what's the best part of the journal and recording your progress is - months later, you will be able to accurate assess as to what works for your body and what does not. Earlier this year, I was kinda stuck at a plateau with no change in the scale or mirror. I didn't know what to do. I just went back a few months back to those 2-3 weeks where I made a whole load of progress. I saw the foods I ate that week and the frequency of my workouts. I implemented those better choices again. No prizes for guessing, I again started noticing change.

There is no need to go for any fancy diet once you start understanding what's working well for your own body. So measuring your daily calorie requirements is an important task.

What are your options. You can do it manually in your diary. You can do it online. Personally I prefer to do this online. I found an extremely helpful site http://www.fitday.com


Try it out. It'f free and extremely helpful. Keep track of what goes in and I am pretty sure you will be glad with the outcome.

No comments: